Here at Calibre Homes we like to making building as stress free as possible. Here are a few pre-build pointers that should help you get started.
- be realistic with your timeframes. A new build from conception to moving in can take around 1 year. Plans need to be drawn and finalised, specification needs to be decided and chosen. The plans then need to be submitted to Council for approval. The ‘average’ house can take around 4-5 months to build.
- find an Architect who really listens to what you want and will work with your budget. Calibre Homes are happy to put you in touch with Architects or you may prefer to use your own.
- in order for us to price your work accurately we need: working drawings, an accurate specification of what your house will contain e.g. what kitchen units, what type of toilet etc, a Geotec report of the land and a survey. This may sound a bit daunting so we are more than happy to help you.
- a price is only as accurate as the information we have at the time of pricing. If your plans are vague i.e. there is no accurate specification of what type of bathroom you want, we can only price in an allowance for an ‘average’ bathroom. Some people refer to this as a PC sum. If you really need to stick to a budget then these are things to get stitched up as soon as possible.
- always have a contingency fund of no less than 10% of the total build cost. There are always unforeseen things within a build and very often people decide to upgrade things as they excitedly see their house/renovation taking shape. For instance you may decide to have your gardens landscaped before you move in or add some extra electrical work to future proof your new home. Some people find their old furniture just doesnt fit with their ultra modern renovation!
Building and renovating should be an exciting time and Calibre Homes endeavour to keep it that way. We pride ourselves on being excellent communicators and you can trust we will deliver on everything we say we will.
For further information on any of the above give us a call or drop us an email.